Saturday, November 1, 2014

Real life and social medias

I have been held hostage by social medias and TV....I'm struggling to be free...still.

Don't get wrong, I like using FB, Twitter and Instagram (IG) as means to connect with friends and make new friends. After all, I did say few years back that I wanna make new friends every month. Lately, IG has taken a lot of my time and I am rather addicted to it. The simplicity of the settings and the fact that it allows me to follow whoever I want, makes it so inviting and keeps me on it more often than I should. Imagine following famous actors/actresses, models, corporate figures, politicians and etc where you get to see some insight, albeit true or not, into their lives. This also holds true for friends or new friends which we make either in real life or via social media. With that you get to see certain things which you may or may not agree or approve of. Then again, who are we to judge??!! I know I try not to.... However, they are those out there who don't think so...and actually think it is their rights to pass comment and let their feelings known.  For me, I find 'Delete' function very useful in dealing with this matter.

We have almost 7billion people in this planet with different race, religion, belief, colour, language, looks etc. Even in Malaysia, we have people from different culture and religion not to mention background and belief system. My Country as how I was brought and grew up on was way different as  how it is these days. I find that people are less tolerant and more prejudice towards other races, religions and even social backgrounds. It it more prevalent in our society today. Malays, I am one, are more divided than ever. We are quick to 'assess' others 'holiness' by mere outlook and shamelessly and openly judge others for difference in view and belief, and also others take on life, as a whole. Freedom to simply 'be' is slowly but surely taken from us because they believe that others should behave and do what they deem 'normal'.
Sadly, social media has been used as platform to enforce their views on others, the 'non-comformists'. Well, I am among the 'others', the 'non-comformists' or any other names they may throw at us. RESPECT is key....and that, for sure, is what seems lacking. 

No comments: