Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I Wanna Wanna Model in a Furry Bikini

Now when I first started yoga and was actually going to classes regularly, I did feel that I was getting more toned. Sadly recently with getting busy bee with work and travelling all those dreams of going for a week in deep India and being a yogi is probably going to be relegated to next year. Seriously, last thing I need is to be in a class full of yogis standing on their heads while I can't even put my legs in the air without two men and a dwarf assisting me. And that is a whole different story altogether.

Anyway finally met up with an old buddy of mine for lunch yesterday and was astounded to see how fit she looked. Now girls I know most of us would give out the 'I want to get fitter' mantra but seriously who doesn't want to loose a few love handles and fit in your college jeans? Hence I was intrigued. Amazingly this friend of mine who is a cynic and a foodie to boot is spouting fitness babble. In the words of Chicken Little, the sky is falling.

Yes... we have a casualty. She actually tried a two week Nazi plan (what other diet plans are there?) and lost over 5 kilos- more importantly she lost inches and I mean INCHES. The culprit of this said convert is Mr. David Kirsch- the man behind Victoria Secret models able to strut down the smallest runway in the world wearing the world's smallest knickers. Now here's how it goes for two weeks:
- Obviously no carbs, no fruits (huh?) because of the sugar content and no carrots (apparently the most fattening vegetable there is- who the heck comes up with this?)
- Pretty much protein and a side of vegetables (nothing really new there)
- No alchohol, no yolk and no coffee (yup I lost you there didn't I?)

Exercise
- 45 minutes of cardio for six days
- cardio toning exercise every other day
- alternate with upper and lower body exercise

Now before you go off and eat a doughnut from sheer exhaustion, here's the fascinating part. It's not boring and you don't get cranky, you have tons of energy and it works! You also get fabbo side effects like thighs you can bounce fifty cents on, more upper body strengh (always good for Yogis) and healthy nails. I was stunned... and this friend of mind is not one to embellish.

Morbidly fascinated and a bit of a masochist for punishing gym sessions, I followed her today to the gym. Anything to get me exercising now is my fitness plan (even a potentially Nazi gym buddy, {I wish I can say it's the cute guy with killer buns doing squats at 10.34am every morning but gym goers nowadays are a sorry lot}). And thus we did 45 minutes of jumps, light weights, medicine ball, fitness ball and strange, butt out duck walks. We were very popular at the gym for comic relief I must say- glad to put a smile on sweaty people's faces. And here's the verdict:

- the cardio toning though not easy was actually great, wasn't boring at all, varied so you don't have to repeat too many reps and kinda fun. I was however sweating like a pig at the end and felt a little faint at one point (but on occasion very fast sun salutations in the morning after a night of drinking can have a same effect)
- thought I was going to keel over afterwards but bizarrely I was rather perky for my meeting later. I did not feel like taking a nap in the afternoon that always follows after a tough workout. The energy stays with you for long after

Who would have thunk? I am making plans to gym with my convert buddy once a week. However on the diet thing- puh-lease life is just too short. And despite waxing lyrical about David Kirsch with a lot of cult woohoo after reading my friend's blog, it was obviously not all sunshine and crunches either. You can check her story and progress at www.cyberdurian.blogspot.com

But if you can't be arsed, just run marathons like Minah, gets you outdoors and you'll definitely loose weight.

After7 out and feeling the burn

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gee, couldn't comment much about gym and weight training. I used to like going to the gym and managed to stay there hours after office before hitting home. For some, going to gym is a good motivator as you'll soon discover there are actually many others who are still battling with their self images and there are also those who simply don't have a life. Then, I was a bit of both. But running has always been a big part of me, either I'm training for upcoming runs or simply working up some sweat, it has serves me well. During the ups and downs of my life, running has been the constant factor. If anybody is into losing weight fast, I can tell you that there is no such thing, none that is cheap anyway. There are, of course, many slimming centres which can offer fast and easy solutions. For us, young and healthy mortals, let's run for our lives!

jetsetqueen said...

I am sticking to yoga but yeah running would be a viable option ;) I need to lose that wee bit 10KG....yes, I am saying wee bit...because i always believe that saying of just a bit more 10KG more to go to keep me going...he!he!

You can do it After7....we can go for our walks for a start :) Kan, Minah Yoga!